PfA Education and Employment

Useful Information Coronavirus COVID-19

We have put together some helpful information and support that you may find helpful during the current Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic

These can be accessed on the dedicated page for Help and Information: Coronavirus COVID-19

Options Available


 Here you can find out about what’s available through the information, advice and support to help you decide what is the right choice for you.  For example, Supported Internships, Traineeships, Apprenticeships, Study Programmes or you might wish to  become self-employed.

Careers Information, Advice & Guidance

Halton Borough Council’s Young People’s Case Workers (16-18 and 19-25 years with an EHCP)

  • Young People’s Case Workers support young people that are Not Engaged in Education or Training (NEET) to move (transition) into education or training
  • The Council reports these activities on a monthly basis to the Department for Education
  • The team review and assess information and liaise with partners to make appropriate referrals for young people to provision/services.  The team conduct follow ups on referrals to review whether they have been appropriate and involve other agencies if necessary
  • If you are working with a young person who is NEET aged 16 to 18 or  for those young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities aged 19 to 25 – please contact the team to ensure appropriate provision and support is in place

Contact details for the team:

Carol Chadwick [email protected] 01515116069
Jean Ward [email protected] 01515118791
Kathy Slater [email protected] 0151 511 7847

Examples of programmes/support available:

  • Career Connect support young people to make informed career choices and provide impartial advice (Education, Training or Employment)
  • New Futures Programme provides a stepping stone for those who are not yet ready to move into employment, training or further education

National Careers Service
Independent, professional and high quality careers and skills advice, available from age 13+ online or over the telephone.  Adults have additional access to community-based face-to-face advice.

Post 16 Directory
This directory is to support professionals working with young people to move on to Education, Employment or Training.

Other useful links

Decision Making Toolkit

The Decision Making Toolkit produced by the Council For Disabled Children is a practical guide to support:

  • social workers
  • health practitioners
  • school and college staff
  • parent carers
  • families
  • and anyone working directly with children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

It is designed to be used in partnership with young people to:

  • support them to make their own decisions
  • participate as fully as possible in decisions made on their behalf

It includes a template which practitioners can use to support a young person who lacks the capacity to go through a best interests decision making process. This is based on the best interests checklist in the Mental Capacity Act 2005 code of practice.

Looking Ahead Guides - What's Next?
Explore careers in healthcare

Riverside Housing and Generation Medics are providing a fully-funded online programme for eligible Halton residents interested in exploring and pursuing a career in healthcare.

See flyer for more details Halton programme delivered by Generation Medics-Riverside Housing

Moving from Benefits to Work

Provides help and advice on moving from benefits to work, work experience/volunteering, starting your own business and support available when you start working.

Work Clubs/Work Experience
Disabled Students' Allowance

Gov.uk – (DSA) Disabled Students’ Allowance

If you are a higher education student, you can apply for a DSA if you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty e.g. dyslexia


Skills Up is a new support service in Halton that offers outcome focused activity sessions to clients with additional needs

  • Our sessions are tailored to meet personal needs and allow clients to make progress towards their targets, in creative and meaningful ways
  • Activities enable clients to gain skills and knowledge in areas such as independent living, community inclusion, health and preparation for employment, supporting them to reaching their potential
  • Sessions are delivered by former teachers, with enhanced DBS checks and relevant training in safeguarding and first aid. Sessions are charged at the Direct Payment Agency Rate

Tel: 07538 483760 or email [email protected] to find out how we can help

Information on Sessions, Week Reviews and Leaflets

Community Bridge Building Team

Halton Community Bridge Building Team work with people with disabilities, learning disability, physical disability, mental health issues, older people, carers and young people in transition to adulthood to access the community, reduce their social isolation and improve their well being

The team can help with much more, their Information Leaflet gives details also see their Employment Support Leaflet

Meet the Community Bridge Building Team


 Leisure and Social Activities

Do you want to learn about leisure and social activities within your community? Or you can share information and services that you offer. See the teams’ Facebook page