Transport Information

Blue Badge & Halton AccessAble Guides (previously DisabledGo)
  • Blue Badge  helps disabled people with severe mobility problems park close to their destination
  • AccessAble Halton  local guides about venues/public spaces accessibility  e.g. shops, restaurants, leisure centres, parks


SEND - School Travel Support and Independent Travel Training

SEND – School Travel Support including Home to School Assisted Transport

  • Parents and carers have a legal responsibility to ensure their compulsory school aged children are registered at a school and attend regularly
  • Under section 508B of the Education Act 1996, the Council has a duty to ensure that in certain circumstances suitable travel solution is made for an eligible child/young person. This will be carried out, where necessary, to facilitate the child and young person’s attendance at a relevant qualifying school. A qualifying school is a school with places available that provides education appropriate to the age, ability and aptitude of the child, and any SEND that the child may have. The general duty is to provide assistance with transport for all children of compulsory school age if their nearest qualifying school is beyond 2 miles if the child is below the age of 8, or beyond 3 miles if the child is aged between 8 and 16. The Act applies to all children and young people who permanently live in Halton and attend a qualifying school named in their EHC Plan.
  • These arrangements apply for home to school travel (usual place of school) and does not apply to travel between educational establishments during the school day. 

Further information regarding school travel including policies is available on the Council website

September 2020 Arrangements to support the full re-opening of schools (SEND Home to School Assisted Transport on Dedicated Services​​)

  • Copies of the letters issued to parents/carers outlining the arrangements from September 2020 are available on the Council page for School Travel Support 

Independent Travel Training

  • The Council provides this training to enable young people with SEND to travel independently to and from school, college and other social activities
  • The training works with young people, parents, carers, schools and other appropriate individuals to provides trainees with their own personal travel programme   
  • More information can be found on the Council website Independent Travel Training
Local Travel Information
Bus Information

Roadworks and Updates

Assisted Travel-School Transport – Appeals process explained