PfA Independent Living

Useful Information Coronavirus COVID-19

We have put together some helpful information and support that you may find helpful during the current Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic

These can be accessed on the dedicated page for Help and Information: Coronavirus COVID-19

Options Available


Here you can find information for you to explore more about living independently through the information, advice and support available to you, to help you have more choice, control and freedom over decisions about your life. For example, where you might want to live, who with, ways to manage your money, getting a bank account, mobile phone or TV Licence etc

How 2 get your life together

This booklet was created by young people to help you think about what keeps you healthy, happy and well.

Easy to access tips for young people aged 16-25 moving into independent living – How2Adult Booklet

Decision Making Toolkit

The Decision Making Toolkit produced by the Council For Disabled Children is a practical guide to support:

  • social workers
  • health practitioners
  • school and college staff
  • parent carers
  • families
  • and anyone working directly with children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

It is designed to be used in partnership with young people to:

  • support them to make their own decisions
  • participate as fully as possible in decisions made on their behalf

It includes a template which practitioners can use to support a young person who lacks the capacity to go through a best interests decision making process. This is based on the best interests checklist in the Mental Capacity Act 2005 code of practice.

Money Matters
When you are 18, you will be responsible for paying your own bills, how much you pay depends on whether you are in education, employment or looking for work. These are some organisations that can help advice you:
Everyday Banking Guide

Everyday Banking Easy Read Guide

How to use a mobile phone

Easy Read Guides about how to use a mobile phone

Community Bridge Building Team

Halton Community Bridge Building Team work with people with disabilities, learning disability, physical disability, mental health issues, older people, carers and young people in transition to adulthood to access the community, reduce their social isolation and improve their well being

The team can help with much more, their Information Leaflet gives details also see their Employment Support Leaflet

 Meet the Community Bridge Building Team


 Leisure and Social Activities

Do you want to learn about leisure and social activities within your community? Or you can share information and services that you offer. See the teams’ Facebook page

Transport Information

Our Local Offer Transport section has lots of information to help you get around

Transition Team to help 14-25 year olds

The team work with colleagues and partners across Social Care, Health and Education to support young people aged 14-25 with complex needs going through transition.

If you have any problems referring, please email [email protected] with all the relevant information regarding the young person.

Useful Documents

How to get a TV Licence?

Easy Read Guide about a TV Licence

Housing and Adaptations

In this section you’ll find information about the

  • Minor and Major Adaptations
  • Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) and Halton Home Improvements Agency
  • Dropped Kerbs, Vehicle Cross-overs, Driveways, Disabled Parking Bays and Blue Badge
  • Housing Associations and PropertyPool Plus
Keeping Safe

Are you worried about a friend, child or family member?

If you suspect a child is being abused and you are a child, parent or member of the general public, Children’s Social Care can help and advise you on:

  • 0151 907 8305 (Mon-Thurs 9 am – 5 pm, Fri 9 am – 4.30 pm)
  • 0345 050 0148 (out of office hours and throughout weekends)

Skills Up is a new support service in Halton that offers outcome focused activity sessions to clients with additional needs

  • Our sessions are tailored to meet personal needs and allow clients to make progress towards their targets, in creative and meaningful ways
  • Activities enable clients to gain skills and knowledge in areas such as independent living, community inclusion, health and preparation for employment, supporting them to reaching their potential
  • Sessions are delivered by former teachers, with enhanced DBS checks and relevant training in safeguarding and first aid. Sessions are charged at the Direct Payment Agency Rate

Tel: 07538 483760 or email [email protected] to find out how we can help

Information on Sessions, Week Reviews and Leaflets