Childrens Services & Social Care

Childrens Social Care

integrated Contact and Referral Team (iCART)
iCART is the integrated front door to children and families’ services.  The team is comprised of multi-agency staff, including social care, early intervention, education, health and Police, therefore there is access to a wide range of information.  The team accept safeguarding referrals and early intervention requests

iCART Leaflet

Halton Children Centres

Offer lots of children, parent/carers and family activities and services in your local community, with wheelchair access.

Each Children Centre can be found on the links below – here you’ll find they each have their own Activity Timetable listing what’s on and when at each centre:  

Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act (CSDPA) 1970

The CSDPA places a duty on local authorities to make arrangements for the provision of assistance for an eligible disabled person for adaptations to the home, or the provision of any additional facilities designed to secure greater safety, comfort or convenience. This also includes the provision of equipment.

There is no age distinction under the CSDPA so it applies equally to adults and children. The National Service Framework also relates to Disabled Children and devotes one of its themes to ‘Equipment and Adaptations’ subsequently this also sets a number of standards.

Disabled children and young people should have:

  • The equipment and housing they need for their health, well-being, development and social inclusion; and for their families’ health and well-being;
  • Access to the equipment they need in all the settings in which they find themselves.

Children’s Services have responsibilities for ensuring that assessments of needs which might best be met by the provision of equipment and/or adaptations are carried out under the CSDPA. These assessments are usually undertaken by the child’s Occupational Therapists (OTs) on behalf of Children’s Services.

How can the CSDPA help me?

Section 2 of the CSDPA gives Local Authorities a duty to assist disabled people (as defined by Section 29 of the National Assistance Act 1948) with the provision of a whole range of services including equipment, adaptations, home helps, meals on wheels, etc. For example:

  • Practical assistance in the home;
  • Provision (or assistance to obtain) radio, TV, library or other recreational services;
  • Provision of lectures, games, outings, recreational or educational activities outside the home;
  • Provision of services or assistance in obtaining travel to and from the home to participate in any of the activities mentioned;
  • Assistance in arranging adaptations or provision of additional facilities to promote “safety, comfort or convenience”;
  • Provision of meals in the home or elsewhere;
  • Assistance in obtaining a phone and any special equipment necessary to use it.
Children Act 1989

The Children Act 1989 (CA 1989) remains the statutory framework underpinning the local authority’s responsibilities and involvement with all children and their families. Disabled children can and should access services through Part III of the CA 1989. All disabled children are children ‘in need’ for the purposes of section 17 (s17) of the CA1989.

The duty on local authorities under s17 of the CA 1989 is to provide a range and level of support services for children in need in their area, where possible to support them in the context of their families.

All work with disabled children and their families in the context of the Children Act should be based on the following principles:

  • The welfare of the child should be safeguarded and promoted by the provision of services;
  • A primary aim should be to promote access for all children to the same range of services;
  • Disabled children are children first;
  • Recognition of the importance of the parent and families in children’s lives;
  • Partnership between parents and carers and local authorities and other agencies;
  • The views of children and parents should be sought and taken into account.
Fact Sheets - Children and Families Act 2014 and Care Act 2014
Equipment & Support in the Home, in the Community and for Education
In this section you’ll find information about the
  • Childrens Social Care Equipment Criteria, Referral Pathway, Assessment Process and Impartial Websites, Parents’ Forum & Helpline
  • Education – Equipment & Support Policy and Useful Information
  • Halton Borough Council & Independent Living Centre
  • Woodview (Child Development Centre)
  •  Halton Integrated Community Equipment Service (HICES)
  • Wheelchairs
Housing & Adaptations

In this section you’ll find information on:

  • Minor Adaptations
  • Major Adaptations
  • Re-housing and Accessible Housing
  • Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) and Halton Home Improvement Agency
  • Dropped Kerbs and Vehicle Cross-overs
  • Disabled Parking Bays
  • Driveways
  • Housing Associations
Keeping Safe

Resources, Information and Guidance

Are you worried about a friend, child or family member

Public Alerter Card

If you suspect a child is being abused and you are a child, parent or member of the general public, Children’s Social Care can help and advise you on:

  • 0151 907 8305 (Mon-Thurs 9 am – 5 pm, Fri 9 am – 4.30 pm)
  • 0345 050 0148 (out of office hours and throughout weekends)
Education, Health & Social Care Factsheets - Complaints, Mediation, Tribunal Appeals & Judicial Review

These factsheets aim to provide an overview of the processes involved if you are unhappy with the decisions that have been made.

Further information, advice or support is available through Halton SENDIASS for free confidential and impartial support 0151 511 7733 SENDpartnership@halton.gov.uk


Education Complaints

Health Complaints

Complaint – Health Services

Social Care Complaint


Guide to Mediation

Tribunal Appeals

SEND Appeals

Single Route of Redress –National Pilot

School Exclusion Appeals

Tribunal Appeals-School Exclusions

School Admissions Appeals

 Tribunal Appeals-School Admissions

School Transport Appeals

Assisted Travel Appeals-School Transport

Judicial Review

Guide to Judicial Review

Is a statutory service which delivers independent, impartial advice, guidance and support to children, young people and their parents around matters relating to special educational needs and/or disabilities; including matters relating to health and social care
Disability Record Registration

 What is this?

All Local Authorities are required by the Children Act 1989 to hold a record of disabled children and young people. The record is a list of children and young people in Halton (0-25 years) who have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and who receive, or may one day need to use the services from health, social services, education or the third sector (voluntary organisations).

If you require more details and /or you wish to complete a registration form please read the following information:

Learning from Case Reviews – Children with Disabilities and/or who are Deaf
SEND Briefing – provides important information around key findings and key messages for staff from case reviews
Behaviour which challenges
The Positive Behaviour Support Service (PBSS) is a specialist service that works to support behaviour which challenges and improve quality of life for people with autism and/or learning disabilities who engage in challenging behaviour.

Young Carers

Young Carers Awareness Day 2018
Young Carers Right to an Assessment

Young Carers Right to an Assessment

Young carers have a right to an assessment of their needs separate from the needs of the person they care for (Care Act 2014 and Children and Families Act 2014) this includes:

  • All young carers under the age of 18 regardless of who they care for, what type of care they provide or how often they provide it.
  • A young carer has the right to an assessment based on the appearance of need – which means that young carers will no longer have to request an assessment or be undertaking a ‘regular and substantial’ amount of care.
  • An assessment can still be requested but should also be offered.
  • Local authorities must take a whole family approach to assessing and supporting adults so that young carer’s needs are identified when undertaking an adult or adult carer’s needs assessment.


Young Carers Strategy
Brighter Futures – Young Carers Strategy 2016-2019 
Assessment Process for Young Carers
The Assessment would be carried out through the Common Assessment Framework (CAF) using the Halton Levels of Need Framework unless they already meet the threshold for Social Care involvement in which case it would be included in the Single Assessment Process. All Halton schools should have nominated member of staff to assist with young carers issues


Young People's rights
The Council for Disabled Children and the National Children’s Bureau have developed two new websites to support children and young people to understand their rights.

Get Your Rights helps to explain to children and young people their rights when using the NHS

Information, Advice and Support Services Network is to help disabled children and young people with SEND to understand their rights for accessing information, advice and support across education, health and social care

Disabled Childrens Service & Short Breaks

Disabled Children Service Pathway (Flowchart)

Disabled Children Services Pathway

Short Breaks Assessment Flowchart

What are Short Breaks

What are Short Breaks?

Local Authorities have a duty to provide short breaks for carers of disabled children to enable them to continue to care for their disabled child and to participate in everyday activities. These include:

  • Day time care in the homes of disabled children or elsewhere;
  • Overnight care in the homes of disabled children or elsewhere;
  • Educational or recreational activities for disabled children outside their homes.

These services are available in the evenings, at weekends and during school holidays.

Short Breaks Statement, Service Guide, Guidance and Review Documents

Short Breaks Statement, Service Guide and Personal Budgets

Short Breaks Allocation Documents

Short Breaks Profile, Plan and Review Document

Short Breaks Consultation Reports
Short Breaks Video

Halton Short Breaks Video

Short Breaks Questionnaires

Care Leavers Local Offer

See new Care Leavers Local Offer section